Friday, July 20, 2012

In light of all things....

I originally wanted to do a post about my superduper awesome konad nail stamper thingy I ordered. So as I got ready for work this morning I kinda formulated a post in my head. Then I got in the car and turned on the radio and heard all about the shooting. Then I thought it would be rather superficial of me to just go on my way and wax lyrical about my konad and my nails in light of the somberness that is around us.

I don't really know what I'm feeling about the shooting. And I am going to be really honest here, but part of me was kinda like "oh another shooting?" alright, moving on. Then I caught myself. Having worked in South LA for about six years now, part of me has become numb to the violence that I constantly find myself surrounded by.  Drive by? ok. Oh shooter around campus? eh...it will be fine soon, no big deal. Kid brought gun to school today? just ask him to go home. How did it get this way? I need to work on myself. I cannot afford to get numb. Every life matters. Today,  I promise myself to be more present and aware of what is going on around us. We have to stick together. We have to see the signs - a troubled youth, a bully, a loner.... we can't just say "oh they will get over it." No. Starting today, I want to be more aware to these cries for help that our youth  are giving us. Please Lord, help me be present and help me be kind.

Will you also be more present with me? This violence has to stop. I don't want my child to grow up in a world of chaos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment